Fire Code Compliant Rack Decks
Fire codes require sprinklers, open area racks, and properly maintained flue spaces, and the lack of any of these can saddle you with some hefty fees (in addition to endangering your facility and employees). In 2002, the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) revised their standards to require rack shelves larger than 20 square feet to either be of “materials more than 50% open” or to have an in-rack sprinkler system. To ensure your facility meets these safety requirements, fire code compliant rack decks are designed specifically for these standards.
Why Rack Decks?
Since rack decks provide additional support for pallets, it’s important that you make an informed decision based on your needs. When you know this, it’s easier to pick the rack decks with the right size and weight capacity. These racks, for example, are great for storing bulk items, furniture, carpeting, boxed items, bagged goods, and more.
So, what makes these rack decks so special?
With its perforated steel, the rack decks combine all the advantages of corrugated steel decking with a solution that ensures peace of mind. The large flanged holes, which add up to 50% open area storage, allow light, air, and sprinkler water to pass through. In fact, sprinkler water can easily pass through multiple levels of shelves even when tightly packed with boxes. Additionally, the racks meet NFPA standards and are FM approved. See below for even more features and benefits.
Features & Benefits
- Construction: Available in 20-gauge, 22-gauge, and 18-gauge steel for light-duty or heavy-duty applications.
- Fire Protection: Large openings allow sprinkler water through to lower levels and meet the 50% open area NFPA requirement.
- Safety: Smooth box-friendly top surface has no protrusions that cause hang-ups, allowing users to slide products on and off easily without product damage or injury.
- Ergonomics: Ergonomically designed to allow storage and retrieval while reducing the risk of user injury and fatigue.
- Uniform Strength: Repeating corrugations provide uniform strength and low deflections to minimize surface distortions.
- Flush Design: Beams are easy to label and barcode with a flush design and no waterfall edges.
- Freight Savings: Save on freight costs. Up to 3 times more square rack footage can be shipped on one truck compared to similar rack products.
- Attractive Design: Double galvanized finish provides a sleek, high-tech look that is easy to clean and maintain.
- Durability: Durable construction and maintenance-free galvanized finish provide years of use.
- Powder Coat Finish: Powder coat your rack with almost any color.
- Pricing: Competitive pricing with other decking products.
- Short Lead Times: Quick shipment available for most standard sizes.
- Security: Rack decks fasten to the step beam with tek screws, which prevents pallets from falling through the racks even if they are misplaced.
- Flexibility: Rack decks are roll-formed in 24″, 30″, and 36″ wide panels, which can be combined to match any common rack beam size. Custom sizes and capacities are also available. If you’re not sure what size you need, we will be happy to help you choose the most appropriate configuration for your needs.
- Archival storage
- Automotive parts
- Bagged goods
- Building components
- Carpets and flooring
- Fabrics & textiles
- And more!
Accessories & Options
Choose from a variety of options to customize the racks to your exact needs.
- Hanging and clip-on wire and PVC pipe dividers
- Solid decking and fire baffles
- Low profile decks for beams with a 3/4″, 7/8″, or 1″ step
- Lengths up to 144″ for oversize loads and double-deep racks (see below for sizing)
- Flat-cap deck add-on with drainage for items that would otherwise fall through other decks such as furniture, chairs, and items with legs, wheels, or point loads
- Flue stops that maintain 3″ of flue space between racks
Rack Deck Sizes
|Rack Depth (lb./sq. ft.)||36″||42″||48″||50″||54″||60″||66″||72″|
Contact Us for Fire Code Compliant Rack Decks
Southwest Solutions Group® provides design and installation services for fire code compliant rack decks to meet your building design and safety needs. We will also provide you with a free consultation to determine your exact needs and specifications before the design process begins. To learn more or to speak with a specialist, call us at 1-800-803-1083 or send us a message today.